Production of rolled products and pig iron grew as well in 11M
In November 2020, Ukrainian steelmaking companies increased steel production by 27.2% to 1.73 million tons compared to the same period of the previous year, according to the updated statistics of Ukrmetallurgprom.
In particular, in November Ukrainian companies produced:
- 2.71 million tons of sinter ore (by 21.5% more than in November 2019);
- 810 thousand tons of coke (+9.5%);
- 1.72 million tons of pig iron (+23.7%);
- 1.55 million tons of rolled products (+25%);
- 80 thousand tons of pipes (+0%).
In January–November, steel production fell by 3% to 18.7 million tons compared to the same period of the previous year.
In 11M Ukrainian manufacturers produced:
- 28.99 million tons of sinter ore (+1.9% against 11M 2019);
- 8.82 million tons of coke (-5.1%);
- 18.59 million tons of pig iron (+0.7%);
- 16.72 million tons of rolled products (-0.4%);
- 790 thousand tons of pipes (-16.4%).
“Considering the favorable market situation, one could expect higher production results. However, the dynamics was restricted by a series of repairs at the major shops. Repair works at the blast furnace No. 5 of Ilyich Iron and Steel Works and the blast furnace No. 1 of Dniprovskyi Iron and Steel Works are under way. At the same time, repairs at ArcelorMittal Kryvyi Rih and Azovstal have been completed,” commented GMK Center analysts on the steel production results in Ukraine in November.
As of 11 December 2020, the main operating production facilities included 17 out of 21 blast furnaces, 7 out of 8 open-hearth furnaces, 14 out of 16 BOFs, 5 out of 15 electric-arc furnaces and 17 out of 17 continuous casting machines.
As reported earlier, in 2019, companies of Ukraine’s mining & metals sector decreased steel production by 1.2% to 20.85 million tons, pig iron by 2% to 20.6 million tons, and rolled products by 0.9% to 18.2 million tons against 2018.