Production of steel also fell over the month, whereas production of pig iron on the contrary increased
In January 2021, Ukrainian steelmakers cut production of rolled products by 1% to 1.66 million tons compared to the same period of the previous year, according to the updated statistics of Ukrmetallurgprom.
In January, Ukrainian companies produced:
- 2.75 million tons of sinter ore (by 3.7% more than in January 2020);
- 845 thousand tons of coke (+2.1%);
- 1.82 million tons of pig iron (+5.2%);
- 1.84 million tons of steel (-0.2%);
- 5.6 thousand tons of pipes (-13%).
As of 11 February 2021, the main operating production facilities included 18 out of 21 blast furnaces, 7 out of 8 open-hearth furnaces, 13 out of 16 BOFs, 5 out of 15 electric-arc furnaces and 16 out of 17 continuous casting machines.
As GMK Center reported earlier, in 2020, companies of Ukraine’s mining & metals sector decreased steel production by 1.1% to 20.62 million tons, while production of pig iron increased by 1.8% to 20.42 million tons, and rolled products by 1.2% to 18.43 million tons against 2019.