The growth of the industry is connected with the restoration of various engineering facilities
The volume of completed construction works in Ukraine in January-June 2023 increased by 18.4% compared to the same period in 2022 – up to UAH 53.2 billion. The driver of growth in the construction sector in the first half of 2023 was engineering structures, where the increase in construction work was 34% y/y and non-residential construction, which grew by 9.5% y/y. At the same time, housing construction decreased by 5.9% y/y.
The resumption of construction in monthly dynamics began in March. This month, the volume of construction work increased immediately by 133.1% compared to the same month in 2022, which is explained by the low base of comparison. Further growth slowed down: in April, the volume of construction work increased by 90.6%, in May – by 62.4%, in June – by 38.6%.
The growth of engineering construction is associated with the restoration of transport and industrial facilities destroyed by hostilities, as well as other types of infrastructure. The highest growth rates of construction works, compared to the first half of 2022, were observed among the following infrastructure objects:
- highways, streets and roads – an increase of 126.6%, up to UAH 4.5 billion;
- construction of mining and extractive enterprises – by 113.3%, up to UAH 12.4 billion;
- main pipelines, communications and power lines – by 52.5%, up to UAH 3.7 billion;
- local pipelines and communications – by 38.1%, up to UAH 4 billion;
- construction of energy enterprises – by 33.1%, up to UAH 2.5 billion.
The share of new construction to the total volume of completed construction works was 44.3%, repairs – 32.8%, reconstruction and other works – 22.9%.