Domestic companies produced 2.42 million tons of coke in 3M
In January–March 2021, Ukrainian coke companies decreased production of blast-furnace coke by 1.3% to 2.24 million tons compared to the same period of the previous year,
according to Interfax-Ukraine citing Ukrkoks association of coke companies.
In March, member companies of Ukrkoks produced 820.4 thousand tons of coke.
“Although the coke output in March is still lower than in Q1 last year at a number of coke plants, the demand among steelmaking companies is being fully met,” says Anatoliy Starovoit, Ukrkoks CEO.
In January–March, supplies of Ukrainian coal fell to 28.3% against 29.9% in the same period of the previous year.
In Q1 2021, the following companies cut coke production y-o-y:
- Avdiyivka Coke Plant — by 7.7% to 682 thousand tons (233 thousand tons produced in March);
- Azovstal — by 8.8% to 311 thousand tons (98 thousand tons);
- Dniprovskyi Coke Plant — by 4.6% to 144 thousand tons (49 thousand tons);
- Zaporizhzhia Coke Plant — by 1.6% to 245 thousand tons (83 thousand tons);
- Kharkiv Coke Plant — idle.
In January–March, the following companies increased coke production y-o-y:
- Dniprokoks — by 34.6% to 144 thousand tons (49 thousand tons produced in March);
- ArcelorMittal Kryvyi Rih — by 4.1% to 716 thousand tons (241 thousand tons);
- Yuzhkoks — by 2.9% to 178 thousand tons (66 thousand tons).
In 2020, Ukrainian coke plants cut production of blast-furnace coke with 6% moisture content by 3.9% to 9.66 million tons against 2019.